Shared TLD Daily Digest, Aug 13, 1996

Date: 12 Aug 1996 00:09:35 -0700
From: Kent Crispin
Subject: Re: business model for shared tlds

John R Levine allegedly said:

> >I don't see a great deal of human intervention in the merge -- I
> >would expect the whole process to be done automatically.  Human
> >intervention is really only necessary when there are decisions to be
> >made, and I don't see any discretionary behavior anywhere.
>
> What do you do when two registries give you conflicting data for the same
> domain?

Since this is an update from a master to a non-master, the master has
precedence.

>  When the data from a registry has a syntax error?  (Do you throw
> out the bad record, the entire domain with the syntax error, try and fix it,
> something else?)

This is data in a coordination database, which has a trivial
syntax, it is being automatically pulled from one database and
transmitted to another.  No human intervention at all.  Any syntax
errors would be either a programming bug or transmission error.  Bugs
would have to be fixed, transmissions errors should be handled ok by
the network protocols.  If not, a checksum and retransmission should
eliminate all but a tiny fraction.

> When the data from a registry is missing?  (Leave it out,
> use yesterday's version, something else?)

My vote would be to use yesterdays version. :-)

> Again, it's the scaling problem.
> If there were three registries, you could fix any problems with a phone call
> or two.  With a thousand registries, the chances of a few of them sending
> you bogus data is very high, and the chances of finding the appropriate
> people and working things out quickly considerably less.
>
> >In fact, I'm not sure I think having every ISP be a registry for every
> >domain would be a good thing at all -- a good reason to make the cost
> >of entry fairly high -- I have been thinking in terms of $2500 entry
> >fee, and $1000/year thereafter.  That would keep all but very large
> >ISPs from being registries for every TLD under the sun.
>
> Indeed.  Instead of having 10,000 registries, you'll only have 1,000 but
> that's still far too many to play round robin.  I think even 25 would be a
> problem.

OK, OK. :-) From a theoretical standpoint perhaps I could argue on, but I
don't want to waste time, and the practical issues seem formidable.  I
really do want to get a working solution that we could actually set up
an experiment with in the next few months, and it is absolutely clear,
even to a stubborn old coot like me, that we couldn't solve these issues
in that time frame. :-)

I think we could profitably move on to a more detailed discussion of
the light-weight registries (LWRs).  Perry suggests that there could
be just one (perhaps replicated for reliability) for all the TLDs,
controlled by the IANA or subcontractors, funded by licensing fees.
I see some merit to this model, and would like to explore it a little
further.  Let's see -- some issues:

How does the LWR relate to DNS?
Authentication?
Actual protocol for communicating with the LWR?

Perhaps people would care to comment on these, and anything else that
crosses their mind?

- --
Kent Crispin				"No reason to get excited",
kent@songbird.com,kc@llnl.gov		the thief he kindly spoke...
PGP fingerprint:   B6 04 CC 30 9E DE CD FE  6A 04 90 BB 26 77 4A 5E

Date: 12 Aug 1996 07:01:40 -0700
From: xdat11@S-IL06-B.corp.mot.com
Subject: RE: FW: Re: FW: Shared TLD's Will NOT Work

Bob,

Can't you do this now with your SLD?

Dave

Date: 12 Aug 1996 07:51:40 -0700
From: perry@piermont.com

John R Levine writes:
> >I don't see a great deal of human intervention in the merge -- I
> >would expect the whole process to be done automatically.  Human
> >intervention is really only necessary when there are decisions to be
> >made, and I don't see any discretionary behavior anywhere.
>
> What do you do when two registries give you conflicting data for the same
> domain?

I believe the trick is, again, to assume a central databse. If you
load the top level name servers off of the lock database, there is
no room for that conflict to happen.

Perry

Date: 12 Aug 1996 07:54:32 -0700
From: perry@piermont.com
Subject: Re: CONSENSUS PN TOP LEVEL DOMAIN NAMES

Dan Busarow writes:
> On Sun, 11 Aug 1996, Kent Crispin wrote:
> > plain-text passwords flying around the net, either.  The most
> > straightforward model would be for each registry for a TLD to be given
> > a public/private key pair to authorize reservations for that TLD.
> > However, PK solutions with decent key sizes demand significant CPU,
> > and a denial-of-service attack is quite easy to imagine...

Just to mention: with the use of anti-clogging tokens a la the
Photuris protocol, its hard to mount a successful denial of service
attack that doesn't result in someone being caught.

Personally, I'd say that this portion of the problem is fairly easy --
we have a number of available cryptographic protocols to
steal. GSS-API stuff comes right to mind.

> Two methods come to mind.
>
> 1) a virtual private network using on the fly encryption.  Off the
> shelf hardware and virtually no performance hit at T1.

Only protects the link, not the underlying data. A lose, for the same
reason you don't use link encryption on SMTP -- you use PEM or PGP or
S/MIME or MOSS or whatever to protect the message itself.

> 2) Digital certificates.  Both server and client auth are now available
> but I don't really know how much CPU they take to authenticate.

Its not a real issue for the scale of registration rates we are
talking about -- tens of thousands to at most hundreds of thousands a
week.

Perry

Date: 12 Aug 1996 07:54:37 -0700
From: perry@piermont.com

Date: 12 Aug 1996 07:54:55 -0700
From: perry@piermont.com
Subject: Re: authorization

Kent Crispin writes:
> Something like this sounds much, much better.
>
> I take it you mean send(msg+md5(xor(msg,key))), rather than
> send(msg+xor(md5(msg),key)).  The latter would trivially reveal the
> key...

1) Rather than inventing your own, stick with well cryptographically
   analyzed MACs, like HMAC.
2) Public key methods are far superior in this instance, and no, they
   won't be too much of a CPU load.

Perry

Date: 12 Aug 1996 08:55:23 -0700
From: Dan Busarow

On Sat, 10 Aug 1996, Perry E. Metzger wrote:
> Dan Busarow writes:
> > The new incarnation of IANA.  I believe consensus has been reached that
> > IANA be reorganized as either a Swiss corporation or an agency of the ITU.
> > Their only interest is to see that the global name space remains pure.
>
> Really? From whom was there a consensus of that sort?

Back on the original newdom I think.  There was a long discussion on the
merits of ITU vs Swiss corp. vs ...  I think the organization chart was
ITU -> ISOC -> IANA when the discussion died down.

My memory may be colored since I like this type of organization.

Dan
- --
 Dan Busarow                                                    714 443 4172
 DPC Systems                                                  dan@dpcsys.com
 Dana Point, California      83 09 EF 59 E0 11 89 B4 8D 09 DB FD E1 DD 0C 82

Date: 12 Aug 1996 11:16:36 -0700
From: Kent Crispin

Perry E. Metzger allegedly said:

> Kent Crispin writes:
> > Something like this sounds much, much better.
> >
> > I take it you mean send(msg+md5(xor(msg,key))), rather than
> > send(msg+xor(md5(msg),key)).  The latter would trivially reveal the
> > key...
>
> 1) Rather than inventing your own, stick with well cryptographically
>    analyzed MACs, like HMAC.

Agree totally -- it is far too easy to make a mistake.

> 2) Public key methods are far superior in this instance, and no, they
>    won't be too much of a CPU load.

I regularly use ssh, and on a small machine it adds up to several
seconds wall clock time for a single authentication, depending on the
horsepower of the machines involved (it doesn't take so long on a
Cray).  So I'm not sure I agree about the CPU load for PK
authentication.

Once logged in, however, the stream ciphers in ssh produce no
noticable overhead, even for X applications.  John's point about
pre-authentication, with shared secret keys, makes the issue somewhat
moot -- it isn't really necessary to authenticate on every
transaction, if the stream cipher keys are relatively long-lived
(several hours).

However, my thinking is turning to the practical issue of getting an
experimental shared TLD going.  A completely off-the-shelf
implemention would involve a small database server (a Pentium machine
with a few gigs of disk, perhaps running Linux or BSD, with ssh
installed, housed in a closet at ISI.

- --

Date: 12 Aug 1996 11:50:41 -0700
From: Kent Crispin
Subject: Re: Shared AND Exclusive TLDS !!!

Simon Higgs allegedly said:

> At 10:28 AM -0700 8/11/96, Kent Crispin wrote:
>
> >Simon Higgs allegedly said:

[snip]
> >> And these provisions were in draft-higgs-tld-cat-02.txt a long time ago.
> >
> >They were indeed, and it is on my list to go back and reread your
> >draft.  One of the problems I had with it was that it supported a
> >larger set of monopoly TLDs than I would like, though.  Perhaps
> >you would be interested in further discussion of that point?
> >

> This is a false assumption on your part.

Which one? :-)

> The majority of the domains in the
> draft form a shared pool of new TLDs based upon previous discussions.
> Remember these points did have consensus when they were discussed:
>
> 1. Creating TLDs to justify the existance of a registry is the wrong
> solution.
> 2. Registries serve the TLDs. Not the other way around.
> 3. Creating TLDs and registries are two seperate issues.

Got a chance to review your draft over the weekend -- generally
excellent work, BTW, except you persistently misspelled "categories"
- -- and the sections that caught my eye earlier were "5.2 Specialized
TLD Class" and, even more, "5.3 Corporate TLD Class".  I interpreted
these to be monopoly TLDs, and, if I had my druthers, I would
disallow corporate TLDs entirely, and put stronger controls on
"specialized TLDs".

Your draft was completed before I got involved in the list, 'tis
true.  I am amazed to hear that there was consensus on anything...

I would like to use potentially large gobs of stuff from your draft
as a part of a draft strictly related to shared TLDs, so I moved this
over to the shared-tld list -- like I said, I think you did an excellent
job, and a lot of the material does directly related to just shared
tlds.

Given the legal miasma that has developed over these issues, I think
there should be some changes in the proposed oversight structure --
things like the Board of Trustees for a TLD, and so on.  And of course
there are a number of technical details to be discussed.  So would you
be game for working on a new draft specifically concerning shared
TLDs?

- --

Date: 12 Aug 1996 12:03:39 -0700
From: perry@piermont.com

Kent Crispin writes:
> > 2) Public key methods are far superior in this instance, and no, they
> >    won't be too much of a CPU load.
>
> I regularly use ssh, and on a small machine it adds up to several
> seconds wall clock time for a single authentication, depending on the
> horsepower of the machines involved (it doesn't take so long on a
> Cray).  So I'm not sure I agree about the CPU load for PK
> authentication.

Doing an SSH like calculation is pretty fast on a modern CPU like a
Pentium-133. Even if it were two or three seconds, though, this is not
a problem -- are people expecting to do substantially more than ten
thousand registrations per day?

We shouldn't cripple our long term security based on a desire to use
crusty i386s running Linux as registries.

Put another way, if large sites handle public key transactions on
every SSL based HTTP connection they do for credit card orders, we
should have no trouble using P/K.

> Once logged in, however, the stream ciphers in ssh produce no
> noticable overhead, even for X applications.  John's point about
> pre-authentication, with shared secret keys, makes the issue somewhat
> moot -- it isn't really necessary to authenticate on every
> transaction, if the stream cipher keys are relatively long-lived
> (several hours).

Again, from a security standpoint securing the channel is NOT what you
want. You need to secure the DATA. This is the distinction between an
encrypted session handler (as in secure telnet) and digitally
signed/encrypted messages (a la PEM).

We need to be securing requests with digital signatures, not securing
the links.

> However, my thinking is turning to the practical issue of getting an
> experimental shared TLD going.  A completely off-the-shelf
> implemention would involve a small database server (a Pentium machine
> with a few gigs of disk, perhaps running Linux or BSD, with ssh
> installed, housed in a closet at ISI.

Probably a good idea to actually try this, yes.

Perry

Date: 12 Aug 1996 13:53:57 -0700
From: johnl@iecc.com (John R Levine)

>I take it you mean send(msg+md5(xor(msg,key))), rather than
>send(msg+xor(md5(msg),key)).  The latter would trivially reveal the
>key...

Yup, sorry if I was unclear.

- --
John R. Levine, IECC, POB 640 Trumansburg NY 14886 +1 607 387 6869
johnl@iecc.com "Space aliens are stealing American jobs." - Stanford econ prof

Date: 12 Aug 1996 14:58:25 -0700
From: Kent Crispin

Perry E. Metzger allegedly said:

> Dan Busarow writes:
> > On Sun, 11 Aug 1996, Kent Crispin wrote:
> > > plain-text passwords flying around the net, either.  The most
> > > straightforward model would be for each registry for a TLD to be given
> > > a public/private key pair to authorize reservations for that TLD.
> > > However, PK solutions with decent key sizes demand significant CPU,
> > > and a denial-of-service attack is quite easy to imagine...
>
> Just to mention: with the use of anti-clogging tokens a la the
> Photuris protocol, its hard to mount a successful denial of service
> attack that doesn't result in someone being caught.

Perhaps after it's been in use for a while.

> Personally, I'd say that this portion of the problem is fairly easy --
> we have a number of available cryptographic protocols to
> steal. GSS-API stuff comes right to mind.

GAAKK!!  Pardon me.  It will only take a moment to clean up the
keyboard.

> > Two methods come to mind.
> >
> > 1) a virtual private network using on the fly encryption.  Off the
> > shelf hardware and virtually no performance hit at T1.
>
> Only protects the link, not the underlying data. A lose, for the same
> reason you don't use link encryption on SMTP -- you use PEM or PGP or
> S/MIME or MOSS or whatever to protect the message itself.

Actually, some sort of secure email interface might not be a bad
approach for the Pentium Prototype LWR server.  Are you aware of PD
versions of s/mime or moss?  Of course, a perl script that ran pgp
and sendmail could be thrown together real quickly.

> > 2) Digital certificates.  Both server and client auth are now available
> > but I don't really know how much CPU they take to authenticate.
>
> Its not a real issue for the scale of registration rates we are
> talking about -- tens of thousands to at most hundreds of thousands a
> week.

I'm still not convinced of that, for a variety of reasons, but it
certainly wouldn't be an issue for the short term.  Long term, experience
will give us unambiguous information about where optimization might
be needed.

- --

Date: 12 Aug 1996 15:15:04 -0700
From: perry@piermont.com

Kent Crispin writes:
> Perry E. Metzger allegedly said:
> > Just to mention: with the use of anti-clogging tokens a la the
> > Photuris protocol, its hard to mount a successful denial of service
> > attack that doesn't result in someone being caught.
>
> Perhaps after it's been in use for a while.

I don't understand.

> > Only protects the link, not the underlying data. A lose, for the same
> > reason you don't use link encryption on SMTP -- you use PEM or PGP or
> > S/MIME or MOSS or whatever to protect the message itself.
>
> Actually, some sort of secure email interface might not be a bad
> approach for the Pentium Prototype LWR server.  Are you aware of PD
> versions of s/mime or moss?  Of course, a perl script that ran pgp
> and sendmail could be thrown together real quickly.

The only problem with that is it isn't fully on-line -- it would all
be fairly slow. A quick ad hoc protocol might actually be
substantially better.

Perry