Shared TLD Daily Digest, Aug 15, 1996 - Part 1

-> revised draft WG charter
     by Kent Crispin
-> FW: Re: System Administrator: Re: CONSENSUS PN TOP LEVEL DOMAIN NAMES
     by kslim@merlion.singnet.com.sg (KOON SANG LIM)
-> Re: revised draft WG charter
     by johnl@iecc.com (John R Levine)
-> Re: new draft WG charter
     by Michael Dillon
-> Re: Who "owns" tld's
     by Michael Dillon
-> Re: Who "owns" tld's
     by chris@kosh.punk.net (Christopher Ambler)
-> Re: Who "owns" tld's
     by Kent Crispin
-> Re: revised draft WG charter
     by Kent Crispin
-> Re: revised draft WG charter
     by Michael Dillon
-> Re: new draft WG charter
     by Kent Crispin
-> Re: new draft WG charter
     by Michael Dillon

Date: 14 Aug 1996 12:21:54 -0700
From: Kent Crispin
Subject: revised draft WG charter

Here is yet another revised WG charter.  The revisions were suggested
by Fred Baker.  Comments please.

DRAFT

Shared Top Level Domains Working Group (STLDWG) Charter

Chair(s)

	o TBD
	  (Someone from IANA?)

Internet Area Director(s)

	o Scott Bradner
	o Michael O'Dell

Mailing List Information

	o General Discussion: shared-tld@higgs.net
	o Archive:
	  http://www.higgs.net/mail/lists/shared-tld/shared-tld-digest.html

Description of Working Group

The Shared Top Level Domains Working Group is concerned with the
technical and logistic requirements of creating shared domain name
registration databases, and the administration of delegated top level
domains by multiple domain name registries.  The motivation for this
concern is to minimize centralized management of all components of
the name space.

There are two high level concerns that the WG must address:

First, the primary underlying problem motivating change in the TLD
structure is resolution of trademark and possibly intellectual
property conflicts in domain names.  The relationship of this problem
to any proposals resulting from this WG must be thoroughly explored.

Second, an explosion of TLDs would have potentially enormous negative
impact on DNS performance, and thus on the Internet itself.  Any
proposal from this WG must address this issue.

Preliminary discussion indicates that there is at least a good
possibility that models for shared TLDs exist that at the very least
do not have a serious negative impact in these two areas, and perhaps
may significantly help, especially in the area of cleanly indemnifying
the IANA and the IETF from the legal morass of trademark and
intellectual property law, and "prior use".  However, the main focus
of the WG is the mechanism for supporting shared TLDs, not necessarily
the creation of new TLDs.

Both these issues will be explictly addressed in the output of this
WG, either as a component of the RFC containing the proposals, or
possibly as a second RFC.

Since the proposals of this WG would directly impact the workings of
the IANA, it is recognized that the IANA must actively participate.

Three primary products are expected from this WG: First the STLD IETF
draft; second, a test implemtation of the ideas using the .SHARED TLD;
and third, a revised STLD IETF draft incorporating the lessons from
the experiment, which should become an RFC.  If this RFC is unwieldy,
a possible fourth output would be an RFC discussing the the impact of
the proposals on legal issues, network performance, and possibly other
concerns.

In more detail, the areas of concern include

	o relationship of shared TLD proposals to trademark issues

	o impact of shared TLD proposals on the network performance

	o fostering an appropriate blend of competition and
	  cooperation between cohort registries

	o the relationship between STLD registries and the DNS

	o the relationship between STLD registries and the IANA,
	  including suggested procedures for licensing a registry,
          and the associated policies

	o technical issues regarding management of the various
	  databases involved in running and coordinating registries.
	  This includes issues like distribution of updates, locking
	  of a shared coordination database, and so on

	o the adminstrative procedures involved in running
	  a registry serving a Shared TLD

	o authentication and authorization issues

	o minimizing possible legal complexities

	o as much as possible, making the relationships between
	  cohort registries self-regulating -- that is, minimizing
	  IANA's role in regulation or dispute resolution.

Goals and Milestones

Jan 1997
	Submit a Shared Top Level Domain IETF Draft that outlines
	one or more technical and policy solutions, along with
	a fairly detailed discussion of the tradeoffs that led to
	if (them).

Jan 1997
	Establishment of the .SHARED TLD for purposes of testing
	STLD proposals.

Apr 1997
	STLD RFC, possible second RFC

- --
Kent Crispin				"No reason to get excited",
kent@songbird.com,kc@llnl.gov		the thief he kindly spoke...
PGP fingerprint:   B6 04 CC 30 9E DE CD FE  6A 04 90 BB 26 77 4A 5E

Date: 14 Aug 1996 20:55:23 -0700
From: kslim@merlion.singnet.com.sg (KOON SANG LIM)
Subject: FW: Re: System Administrator: Re: CONSENSUS PN TOP LEVEL DOMAIN NAMES

Dear Simon
I personally have no objection.  I think it is a reasonable dratf to start

with.  If we do not waste more time I believe we may be able to meet the

targets set earlier in the dratf charters.(though some may think that the

targets set are too slow for their liking).
Best regards
KS Lim
Date: 14 Aug 1996 21:27:06 -0700
From: johnl@iecc.com (John R Levine)
Subject: Re: revised draft WG charter

>Here is yet another revised WG charter.  The revisions were suggested
>by Fred Baker.  Comments please.

Looks pretty good, thanks for doing the work to put it together.

>First, the primary underlying problem motivating change in the TLD
>structure is resolution of trademark and possibly intellectual
>property conflicts in domain names.

Is this really true?  Whether or not it is, I'm not sure it needs to be in
the draft.  Can you say what you're thinking about WRT shared domains?  I
can't off hand see any difference from unshared for this particular issue.

Also, some of us think that shared TLDs would make a lot of sense even if
there are no new TLDs, since .COM, .ORG, and .NET would be excellent
candidates for sharing when the Internic's current contract is up, and some
ISO TLDs such as .US might be as well.

How about adjusting the wording to allow for this possibility, or at least to
clarify that adding new TLDs (other than the experimental .SHARED) needn't
be a prerequisite to having shared TLDs.

- --
John R. Levine, IECC, POB 640 Trumansburg NY 14886 +1 607 387 6869
johnl@iecc.com "Space aliens are stealing American jobs." - Stanford econ prof

Date: 14 Aug 1996 21:35:32 -0700
From: Michael Dillon
Subject: Re: new draft WG charter

On Tue, 13 Aug 1996, Kent Crispin wrote:

> 	o TBD
> 	  (Someone from IANA?)

Before you volunteer one of the four people who work part time on the IANA
activities, you really should ask them. I don't see any need for IANA
people to chair a shared TLD protocol WG and I think they will have more
important things to deal with in the next little while as new TLD's are
deployed. It wouldn't hurt to ask someone like Perry Metzger or Paul Vixie
if they would be interested or if they could suggest people for the
position.

> Internet Area Director(s)
>
> 	o Frank Kastenholz
> 	o Jeffrey Burgan

Have you asked either of these guys? The shared TLD stuff sure seems like
OPS area stuff to me.

> Description of Working Group
>
> The Shared Top Level Domains Working Group is concerned with the
> technical and logistic requirements of creating shared domain name

shared access to domain name ...

> registration databases, and the administration of delegated top level
> domains by multiple domain name registries.  The motivation for this

multiple registration agents.

> concern is to minimize centralized management of all components of
> the name space.

> Since the proposals of this WG would directly impact the workings of
> the IANA, it is recognized that the IANA must actively participate.

Drop this bit. Either they will or they won't. In fact, I disagree that
this WG would *directly* impact the workings of IANA. Perhaps IANA will
choose to do things differently in the future due to the deployment of
this WG's work, but IMHO that is rather a indirect impact and could be
said of many WG's.

> The primary products of this WG are three:  First the STLD Draft, and
> second,

define this draft more clearly. IMHO something like this:

     First, the definition of a protocol for shared administrative
     access to domain name registry databases capable of reserving
     names, registering names and modifying name records in a
     secure authenticated manner.

> a test implemtation of the ideas using the .SHARED TLD as a
> test,

Just say that it is a standards track protocol which implies two
implementations.

> and three, a revised STLD draft incorporating the lessons from
> the experiment, which should become an RFC

This is also implied by "standards track". Rather than stating the obvious
here, try to be more clear about why the protocol is needed, what the
requirements are, etc.

> 	o fostering an appropriate blend of competition and
> 	  cooperation between cohort registries

good.

> 	o the relationship between STLD registries and the DNS

vague.

> 	o the relationship between STLD registries and the IANA,
> 	  including suggested procedures for licensing a registry,
>           and the associated policies

relationship is a bad word you know. And IANA has nothing to do with this
really. They will create TLD's but unless they mandate some sharing
timeframe this whole thing will be voluntarily done by some registries.
Also, you are overlapping the Postel draft in this clause.

> 	o technical issues regarding management of the various
> 	  databases involved in running and coordinating registries.
> 	  This includes issues like distribution of updates, locking
> 	  of a shared coordination database, and so on

Rather than a partial list, try to choose words which describe the
complete scope of the problem. It is better to define boundaries and only
be specific with things that are mandatory result items. Within the
boundaries defined by the charter it is quite possible that the WG will
come up with new issues and/or decide that some issues currently mentioned
are actually not relevant.

> 	o the adminstrative procedures involved in running
> 	  a registry serving a Shared TLD

This focuses too much on internal registry procedures rather than the
administrative protocols between registries which are where it should
focus, IMHO.

> 	o authentication and authorization issues
>
> 	o minimizing possible legal complexities
>
> 	o as much as possible, making the relationships between
> 	  cohort registries self-regulating -- that is, minimizing
> 	  IANA's role in regulation or dispute resolution.

Again, leave out IANA. It is not a court. If IANA publishes and RFC that
gives it arbitration rights, then so be it. If not, then leave them alone.

> Jan 1997
> 	Submit a Shared Top Level Domain IETF Draft that outlines
> 	one or more technical and policy solutions, along with
> 	a fairly detailed discussion of the tradeoffs that led to
> 	if (them).

Tradeoffs is good. It helps future designers understand the genesis of the
protocol. However I don't like "one or more". A single draft should
promote a single solution.

Michael Dillon                   -               ISP & Internet Consulting
Memra Software Inc.              -                  Fax: +1-604-546-3049
http://www.memra.com             -               E-mail: michael@memra.com

Date: 14 Aug 1996 21:40:45 -0700
From: Michael Dillon
Subject: Re: Who "owns" tld's

On Wed, 14 Aug 1996, Richard J. Sexton wrote:

> Well, um, I guess I'm still stuck at the first principle: are
> tld's to be shared. IANA seems to indicate no, per the
> last draft-postel,

I beg to differ. As per the last draft, TLD's are exclusive property of
the registry to which they are delegated. This implies that the registry
may share the TLD if it so chooses. Obviously this will involve some sort
of commercial transaction but that is not neccessarily a bad thing.

> Wouldnt it make sense to resolve this question first,

It doesn't need to be resolved. If people really want shared access
registries, then the deals will be made.

Date: 14 Aug 1996 21:41:47 -0700
From: chris@kosh.punk.net (Christopher Ambler)

>Wouldnt it make sense to resolve this question first,
>or have we settled up a "some are private, some
>are shared" notion?

I'm going under the latter assumption, which is the one I support.

- --
Christopher Ambler
President, Image Online Design, Inc.
.WEB Domain Registry, http://webtld.com